Kantian and Utilitarian Theories Argument Against Torture Discussion
I’m working on a business law writing question and need an explanation to help me understand better.
Parameters of Final Paper: Except as set forth below, you can consult any sources you wish, but all that is required for purposes of answering the questions below is to utilize the readings and other materials covered in this class. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE MAY YOU DISCUSS THE CONTENT OF YOUR FINAL WITH ANYONE, INCLUDING WITH ANY OF YOUR CLASSMATES.
FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THIS, WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DISCIPLINARY ACTION, INCLUDING REFERRAL TO THE DEAN OF THE COLLEGE.
Your essay must NOT exceed 2,500 words. Must be submitted on this Assignments Channel in TEXT FORMAT. No Attachments please.
At the end of your essay you must print the following and then sign: “I hereby affirm that no one has assisted me in producing my essay answer and that I have not discussed its contents (either in draft or final form) with anyone.”
Your Take Home Final Papers are due by 11:59 pm PST, FRIDAY May 14th
You must answer THREE (3) OF THE FOUR (4) of questions below. Each of the questions are weighted equally. You will receive no extra credit or poins for answering all 4 of the questions. The Midterm is worth 40% of your total grade in the class.
- You are the Head of the FBI Anti-terrorism division in Los Angeles. You have apprehended a suspect you have reason to believe is the member of a major terrorist organization.You have obtained additional information from an independent source that a nuclear bomb will be exploded within the next 24 hours somewhere in the city by the very same terrorist organization that this suspect is a member of. Your top police interrogators have tried questioning the suspect for the past several hours, but he either refuses to say anything or just laughs in their faces, and with a wild, crazed look in his eyes, makes gestures and sounds of a loud explosion. Based on your many years of law enforcement experience, you do not believe you will get any more information from the suspect via traditional questioning and that the only way to get information is through “less traditional means”. You face a real ethical dilemma.
- Do you torture the suspect in the hope that maybe he can provide information on the possible attack, perhaps saving millions of lives? Or, is it the case that the torture will not yield any type of meaningful response? What about the rights of the suspect? Using both Kantian and Utilitarian theories/models, argue both sides for and against using the torture techniques. Use examples from what was covered in class and from the readings. Be specific. You need not have any knowledge about anti-torture or Homeland Security-related laws in the United States, but you should assume that all forms of torture would be considered illegal in the situation described here.
2. You are the Director of Product Development at ABC Corp., a firm which manufacturers semiconductors.Your cousin happens to the CEO of DEF Corp., a major competitor of ABC. At a recent family gathering your cousin inquires how things are going for you at ABC and offers you a “part-time job” at DEF working in the same area of product development. Your cousin assures that you can work “remotely” and on “weekends” so as not interfere with your M-F, 9-5 schedule at ABC. While your cousin assured you that all this was on the “up and up”, he asked you to download and share with him all your project and development plans at ABC just to get a sense “what was going on at ABC”. Using the any of the concepts and theories covered in this class (including ethical theories and rationalizations) discuss the implications of accepting the DEF Corp. part-time offer. You need not have any knowledge of employment law, trade secret law or intellectual property law generally to answer this question. For those of you that do have knowledge in these areas, you will get no extra points or credit for incorporating such “additional information” in to your answer.
3. Is there a place or need for ethics in business? I want clear opinions, supported not by idle speculation or flim-flam, but rather by the substantive materials covered in class and from the course readings, including the case studies.You will be graded on the quality and depth of your answer (supported by solid arguments and sources to back them up) as opposed to any specific conclusion(s) you reach.
4. Using ethical theories and rationalizations discussed in class, compare and contrast the ethical lapses ofBernie Madoff, Elizabeth Holmes and Harvey Weinstein. Use examples. Be specific.
Use examples. Be specific.
For ALL of these questions you need not use any outside sources (other than those assigned and covered in this class). Citations are not necessary. If you wish to use them, you can include them at the end
Following directions, style, and format: 25%
Quality of analysis and depth: 50%
Effective use of examples from readings, class discussions and videos: 25%
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at EssayBell.com